Skip to main content

My Pinoy IEN Story: Beyond Limits

Behind his hilarious antics online and feisty responses, Ontario-based Pinoy IEN Administrator Gian Paolo Fauni, knew so well how tedious it is to get registered in Canada. We asked him to spare us his taray-ness to answer a few questions about his Canadian RN journey.

Gian: Hello Pinoy IEN! Alam nyo na name ko, ano ba? Hahaha! Gian Paolo Fauni. I earned my BSN degree at Ateneo de Davao University in 2006 and completed my Masters in Nursing degree in 2012 at the same school. I applied under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) in 2013 and got my immigrant visa mid-2014.

I landed in Canada on August 11, 2014 to be exact. I worked for 5 years at the Southern Philippines Centre, a government hospital in Davao city.

Pinoy IEN: Duterte?

Gian: Oo! Hahaha! It's a 1, 200-bed capacity hospital and had been rotated to differe units during my tenure. 

Pinoy IEN: What was the road to Canadian RN like?

Gian: I don’t know the exact date but NNAS went live around the last week of August 2014. It’s a looong road to achieve the Canadian RN! It took me more or less 20-22 months all in all. Almost 2 years rin. I started working around October 2014 so August-October talagang yung immigration PROOF OF FUNDS ko ang ginamit ko! Kakaloka!


Pinoy IEN: Seriously? OMG!

Gian: You know, the NNAS application is not cheap and it's in USD. I said to myself that it's an investment. Alam mo naman sa investment, either you win big or you go home but I calculated my risk and I know it would pay off eventually.

My first job here was a non-certified Personal Support Worker (PSW) but I usually nailed it on my interviews and insisted that I didn't need a certificate. I showed to them my RN license application with CNO was in process kaya nadadala sila. Of course, I was turned down by some kasi need daw talaga ng PSW certificate.

On my first year, I worked as a PSW through agencies - Helping Hands Healthcare and First Health Care. They sent me to hospitals ehre in Toronto as a sitter, working mostly 12-hour shifts and paying minimum wage - 11.25-12.00 CAD/hour!

Pinoy IEN: Alam mo, there's nothing wrong with odd or menial jobs but you were lucky to have been exposed in the Canadian healthcare setting!

Gian: Super survival job talaga! At first, it was exciting kasi you're being paid to do nothing, being a "watcher" but after a year I grew tired of it because there was no professional growth!

Pinoy IEN: Absolutely! I mean, for people who earned advance University degrees this must be demoralising! And you are an RN all your life!

Gian: I know! Then I started working as a community PSW but I worked short, crazy hours like 2-4 hours in a day though I was paid a little more but still it wasn't enough of course! It was a very humbling experience... God really shaped me to become stronger, smarter and wiser... Good thing nakahanap rin ako ng full-time job sa retirement home while waiting for the reply from CNO.

I worked full time 3-11 shifts, 60 hours per week. At least stable somehow ang kita ko here but it wasn't enough!

Pinoy IEN: May binubuhay ka ata? Haha!

Gian: Hahaha! So I still worked from 7-11 AM sa isa kong job, private client but funded by the Ontario government. It was a bit of a challenge to wake up to work at 7 AM then work later on at my 3-11 full-time shift. It was really a struggle! 


I got a letter from CNO around November 2014 advising me to do the IENCAP. And since magaan ang work ko sa retirement home, that was where I studied. I brought my books with me. Most of them were e-books. Kahit sa bus and subway, nagrereview ako.

The Waiting Game

Credential assessment provided by the NNAS or the National Nursing Assessment Service (ran by CGFNS) MAY take several months to complete. Logistically, it is challenging to gather documents from the Philippines while in Canada. It is recommended to accomplish all verifications before landing.

Pinoy IEN: What held you together while going through the lengthy processes?

Gian: I said to myself that I would be a failure if I go home and wait for my US application but I have no choice BUT TO KEEP GOING. Pero tao din naman ako, I almost gave up on my first year. Working and earning minimum wage gets you nothing here in Toronto. Rent pa lang, almost half na ng kita mo!



Not Comparable

A 'Not Comparable to Canadian RN Education' NNAS advisory report may be given to IENs whose RN education does not meet the required competencies expected of a Canadian RN.

Pinoy IEN: Did these words affect you?

Gian: Honestly, it didn’t really bother me. I got a ‘Somewhat Comparable to Canadian LPN Education’ and a ‘Not Comparable to Canadian RN education’ even with a Master’s degree and 5 years continuous RN experience. It was really frustrating but the College has the final say din naman. I know din kasi that I only had three years from the last day of my RN experience to comply everything that will expire in 2017.



My only problem that time was the IENCAP, the OSCE kasi I knew that I would be able to waive the language requirement kaya I prepared well for the IENCAP especially the practically exam portion, the OSCE. I watched YouTube videos everyday and read a chapter a day. It was challenging but doable. 

Gian Paolo Fauni, RN (Ontario, New Mexico and New York)

Gian successfully passed the Internationally-Educated Nurse Competency Assessment Program (IENCAP) of the College of Nurses of Ontario. In 2008, Gian sat the NCLEX-RN for the State of New Mexico. The College granted his Canadian RN license in 2016. Bliss.

Pinoy IEN: What inspired you to become a Canadian RN?

Gian: I mentioned earlier that I worked as a sitter, diba? You know what I really wanted to become a physician talaga. But when I started working as an RN, I became passionate with the line of work I have so I went back to nursing school to pursue my Masters on weekends.


Our University motto is 'Men & Women for Others.'

I guess I am really in this calling. I wanted to make a difference in the Canadian health care system. I wanted to do something more in the care of my patients. The paper works is part of our job but I want to be more of a bedside nurse. That inspired me to become an RN, a Canadian RN!

Pinoy IEN: You are also a New Mexico and New York-licensed RN, how did it feel like to know that you can NOW practice nursing in the States and Canada?

Gian: Elated. Having 2 RN licenses of 2 countries is simply amazing! I really wanted to work in a hospital here in Ontario but it’s very competitive that’s why I’m doing certification programs to have the edge. My US recruiter contacted me but I really wanted to work in Canada. For 2 years perhaps… My family is based in New York so working as an RN in the States is still on the bucket list.



Pinoy IEN: What were the life-changing challenges that influenced you to become the kind of nurse you want to be?

Gian: The drama and the things that we have to do and PAY to get recognized in Canada. 



Pinoy IEN: What relevant learning experience you want to share to the Pinoy IEN Community?

Gian: Firstly, sa registration process, it would take a lot of time kaya have someone in Pinas that you can ask to process all your papers or do it before leaving for Canada. Malaki ang gastos sa paper works as well as the courier fees but EYES ON  THE PRIZE talaga.


Second, it’s okay to settle for RPN/LPN for now but always remember that you’re more capable of being an RN make RPN/LPN as your stepping stone. It’s a different feeling and title of being an RN. A lot of responsibilities to do but it’s not that hard.


Third, study seriously for the exams. Once you pass th exam, it will open many doors. Borderless opportunities. Ikaw n mismo ang tatanggi ng work. Dapat work-life balance pa rin and take care of your health as well. When I got my license, after a month, I got a job interview and landed on my first job as RN then it opened a lot of doors. At first, I was so overwhelmed sa offer nila kasi nga naman minimum wage earner lang ako at pinakamataas ko was 18 CAD/hour per now nasa _____ na siya. Hahaha! Classified. Acknowledge pa ang 5 years experience at Masters ko sa Pinas kaya mega climb ang base rate ng salary ko pero tumaas rin ang tax bracket. 

So right now, eto ang work ko:



a) Nursing Home 1 – Permanent Part Time RN (4 days in 2 weeks), salary is based on the collective agreement sa Ontario Nurses Association.
b) Nursing Home 2 – Every Other Weekend Nurse Manager (2 weekends in a month), salaried position
c) Dental Nurse Clinic A – Once per week
d) Dental Nurse Clinic B – Per Diem, Casual, works on my availability
e) Rehab Nurse Facility – Casual RN – salary based on ONA rin

As I mentioned earlier, eyes on the prize. Kay dental nurse clinic A pa lang, bayad na ang rent ko!

Stories like this resonates deep within our minds and motivates us to do the best we can to reach our dreams and aspirations in life. Your story, Gian, will inspire us as we conquer roadblocks and potholes along the way. The road will be long and seems dark but yours flickers like a candle but radiates more like a beacon from afar. Godspeed G!

Comments

  1. Very inspiring. "Eyes on the Prize" is my motto from now on. I would just like to get clarified on Gian's masters. Was his MN in AdDU not recognized? Did it not have any bearing on his salary's boost when he became an RN? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nursing union to which he is affiliated to pays premiums for his Philippine RN experience and graduate studies (Master's degree) completed in the Philippines. You are being assessed as an Entry-Level Nurse on the licensing. It is the College's discretion to recognize nursing graduate studies.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey. My wife, a Cebuana, and I are looking into her studying to become Personal Support Worker in Ontario. We visited a private immigration agency in Cebu and learned of the P2.5 million show of
    funds necessary. This is prohibitive amount! Any advice on surmounting this barrier? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Its really motivated me. Especially about your eligibility details bcz, I am going through the same frustrating state... i have done my masters in pediatrics nursing and i have 3 years RN experience in India but I only got eligibility for RPN😔😔😔.
    Actually i was preparing for NCLEX RN for 6 months....
    Its really hurts me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Reference Guide 5: Sample OSCE Scenario

The Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) is the practical or clinical simulation part of the nursing skills and knowledge assessment administered by a College- or an Association-accredited institution (e.g. Touchstone Institute). The entire exam will be composed of 12 scenarios with patient actors and an examiner. We created a scenario to give you a heads up on what happens in an OSCE. Here's the flow of an OSCE scenario about Pain (click on the images): The examiner MAY ask questions to the candidate to test critical thinking skills. Examiners have a rubric to mark the performance of the candidate based on categories and competencies set by the Colleges or the Associations of Registered Nurses. The following images below are categories, competencies and domains in the context of the given scenario above. Below is the list of domains upon which the examiner will base the candidate's global overall rating and will record comments on strengths

5 Helpful Tips to Process Canadian Nursing License Reciprocity

The Agreement on Internal Trade Chapter 7 lawfully allows Canadian-licensed nurses to practice nursing across Canada including Québec and the Territories. To be able to practice nursing in a province, the nurse must initially hold a full , unrestricted nursing license not temporary or provisional licenses. Like in the States, you can hold multiple nursing licenses in Canada as well! Yes. With a price. To end the rumors of not being able to practise anywhere in Canada, here are 5 helpful tips to process license reciprocity across Canada: (1) Read the Out-of-Province Reciprocity requirements of the province where you wish to move or practice Learning the reciprocity processes would help you formulate a game plan prior to moving to the province or applying for nursing jobs in that province. This information is available in the College website. Be reminded that there are separate forms for Out of Province or Canadian-licensed Nurse Applicants. (2) Practise the professio

Quick Reference Guide 7: Reciprocity from Canadian RN to US RN Practise

The transition of Canada to NCLEX-RN in 2014 widen opportunities of Canadian RNs all throughout North America. Canada is the third country behind India and the Philippines of which American hospitals hire RNs to address the RN shortage in the States (Hall, 2009). It has been noted that US recruiters prefer RNs who hold a baccalaureate degree, the minimum education requirement to practise as RN in Canada (except Québec).  Read the full article conducted by the University of Toronto Lawrence Bloomber School of Nursing here . Unlicensed Internationally-Educated RNs living in Canada may have to submit a licensure by examination application in the States. This QRG applies to Canadian-licensed RNs/Canadian RNs. So how will those Canadian-licensed RNs reciprocate their licenses in the States? Here are useful steps to file for reciprocity in the States: Pre-requisites: Must have passed the NCLEX-RN Must hold an active Canadian RN license within Canada Québec RNs must