Skip to main content

My Pinoy IEN Story: Vast Horizons Await

We call her Chinese Girl for having a Facebook name in Chinese characters. Mirriam Gallego may be inactive or silent at times but for some who didn't know she's one of the pioneering Administrators of the Pinoy IEN group. If you happen to be a group member since the group's inception in 2015, you would definitely encounter her pinned post on the wall. She crisscrossed Canada ever since she moved in 2010 travelling frequently to and from the East to West vice versa. Her story is worth knowing.

Mirriam Gallego: Hi Pinoy IEN! I'm Mirriam Gallego. I graduated from Lorma Colleges in La Union in 2006. I never held a full-time RN position back home as it was hard to get in hospitals. After having my RN license in 2007, I volunteered for 6 months at the regional hospital. Luckily, I landed in Canada under the Live-In Caregiver Program in Ottawa, Ontario in 2010. Clueless talaga ako about how everything works in Canada! Hahaha!

Pinoy IEN: Can you share us your experiences in the True North?


Mirriam: Haha! Ay malamig talaga! My journey started in Ottawa. I cared for children and it was bit of a challenge. I would cry myself to sleep kasi indi ako sanay. I was forced to swallow my pride and took it from there. Alam nyo naman saten daming judgmental sa  mga nag aalaga ng bata.


Pinoy IEN: I know many Filipinos who started as nannies and are now successful Canadian RNs. May problema sila! Haha!

Mirriam: So one day nung patapos na contract ko this time with my 3rd employer kasi I was released by my first 2 employers for valid reasons, nag yaya sila to move with them up north. Sabi ko sang north? Yellowknife, Northwest Territories daw! Hahaha. Na loka ako! Sabi ko, if I stay in Ottawa jobless na naman ulet ako. So I moved with them.


Pinoy IEN: Hong lamig! Hahaha!

Mirriam: -60 degrees Celsius lang naman hahaha! Super dilim in Winter sobrang liwanag naman in Summer.

Pinoy IEN: Parang ganun din sa Nunavut dba? Di ko kaya…

Mirriam: I met Filipino RNs in hospitals and community clinics and they’re earning CAD 100,000 a year. That sparked my interest to pursue a nursing career in Canada.

Pinoy IEN: What were the struggles of a temporary foreign worker?

Mirriam: You can't complain. You don't have a voice. I know Canada is a land of free expression but if you're a TFW you don't have anything in mind but to accumulate the needed hours to qualify for permanent residence. I've learned to keep my mouth shut. Sabi ko, tiis na lang. I'll get there.

Pinoy IEN: I know! A friend shared her experience as a TFW. Everyone has their time.


Pinoy IEN: Did your immigration status stop you from dreaming?

Mirriam: No. Nothing can stop me from dreaming and reaching for my dreams and aspirations. Although at some point, I went through self-doubt. I started thinking that what if I wouldn't be able to get out of this job. Working in a home somehow affects your social skills. It felt like that I needed to regain my confidence back and feel better about myself as I was not contented of what I was doing.

Pinoy IEN: Of course! We immigrated to become the best versions of ourselves and for a better quality of life.


Pinoy IEN: Did it feel like you were left behind your peers who landed as immigrants?


Mirriam: Sometimes I did. I felt that way but on a brighter note, working as a TFW made me pursue more and has motivated me to reach my goals. It taught me a lot of values such as respect, patience and humility. It shaped me as an open-minded person adaptable to change. Sabi ko nga if you throw me in burning house, I will find ways to contain the fire. 

Pinoy IEN: Permanent Residence granted: How did it feel like on this momentous day?

Mirriam: I immediately began researching on how to go back to nursing school. I know that they would ask me to go back so why not dba! Laban!



Pinoy IEN: What compelled you to pursue your nursing career in Canada?

Mirriam: Not that caregiving is a menial job but I wanted to have a professional growth. I also want a higher wage and nursing pays good. I find working with people in an acute care setting rewarding. 

Roadblocks ahead

The NNAS went live in August 2014 making applications streamlined than it was before. In the past, nursing boards directly received and stored documentation from applicants across the globe. There were grey areas and delays on the first few months of implementation. Another challenge is the safe practice policy of Canadian regulatory boards. Generally, an RN experience within the last 5 years (3 years for Ontario) would give weight to an IEN's application. Further assessment would be recommended to IENs who are out of practice.

Pinoy IEN: Out of Nursing Practice: Did this demoralise you?

Mirriam: It did impact me in some ways but I fought that feeling and learned from it. Move on lang talaga and proceed! Life may not go as you’ve planned for but it teaches you something useful.


Pinoy IEN: What made you decide to go back to nursing school instead of doing the IEN process?


Mirriam: I think that NNAS is ridiculously expensive...


Pinoy IEN: I know! What a total rip off!



Mirriam: And the waiting times are lengthy. I also think that the process is taxing. In my case, I would rather go back and do the whole nursing program. I’m currently doing the full LPN program at Algonquin College in the nation’s capital, Ottawa. I will graduate with a Canadian LPN diploma and from there I can proceed to earn my BScN (BSN) at the University of Ottawa. The program has 4 levels, 4 terms and each term runs for 4 months. Minsan nakakaloka na pero fight lang ng fight!

Pinoy IEN: We heard from your peers that you are top in the class, in fact,  a Dean's lister, and at the same time a working student. How are you coping with this? What keeps you going?

Mirriam: I try to study on my free time. Top of my class? Hahaha! I just allot most of my time reading the lectures. Aim ko talaga is to graduate with honors. I need to work hard on my last term. What keeps me going? My goal (to become a nurse) and family!


Pinoy IEN: You will graduate with a Canadian nursing degree/diploma,  does this change anything as a Filipino nurse?

Mirriam: It will in a good way. It will contribute more to my previous nursing knowledge as a Filipino nurse. It's gonna be more like an upgrade of what I have learned back home. One thing that WOULD NOT change is the Filipina caring attitude and compassion towards patients.

Pinoy IEN: What relevant learning experience do you want to share to the Pinoy IEN Community especially those nurses who are in the hope of becoming a professional nurse and at the same time, a permanent resident of Canada?

Mirriam: Have faith in yourselves. You are capable of integrating in the Canadian health care setting and put yourselves out there. Look back and be an inspiration to other nurses. Be patient and humble as you wait for the next chapter and never stop chasing your dreams. Never ever be contented.


We have different beliefs on education but what is true is that it can never ever be taken away from us and also, it is never too late to learn. It may cause discomfort however, it does more good than harm.  Your sacrifices will be worth it! We are excited to know Mirriam's journey! We are confident that she can make it to her RN licensure in the future. Thank you Mirriam for sharing your story! 


Contact your school or University for questions on financing, scholarships and grants. For residents/citizens, tap your potential as education in Canada is indeed accessible! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Reference Guide 5: Sample OSCE Scenario

The Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) is the practical or clinical simulation part of the nursing skills and knowledge assessment administered by a College- or an Association-accredited institution (e.g. Touchstone Institute). The entire exam will be composed of 12 scenarios with patient actors and an examiner. We created a scenario to give you a heads up on what happens in an OSCE. Here's the flow of an OSCE scenario about Pain (click on the images): The examiner MAY ask questions to the candidate to test critical thinking skills. Examiners have a rubric to mark the performance of the candidate based on categories and competencies set by the Colleges or the Associations of Registered Nurses. The following images below are categories, competencies and domains in the context of the given scenario above. Below is the list of domains upon which the examiner will base the candidate's global overall rating and will record comments on strengths

5 Helpful Tips to Process Canadian Nursing License Reciprocity

The Agreement on Internal Trade Chapter 7 lawfully allows Canadian-licensed nurses to practice nursing across Canada including Québec and the Territories. To be able to practice nursing in a province, the nurse must initially hold a full , unrestricted nursing license not temporary or provisional licenses. Like in the States, you can hold multiple nursing licenses in Canada as well! Yes. With a price. To end the rumors of not being able to practise anywhere in Canada, here are 5 helpful tips to process license reciprocity across Canada: (1) Read the Out-of-Province Reciprocity requirements of the province where you wish to move or practice Learning the reciprocity processes would help you formulate a game plan prior to moving to the province or applying for nursing jobs in that province. This information is available in the College website. Be reminded that there are separate forms for Out of Province or Canadian-licensed Nurse Applicants. (2) Practise the professio

Quick Reference Guide 7: Reciprocity from Canadian RN to US RN Practise

The transition of Canada to NCLEX-RN in 2014 widen opportunities of Canadian RNs all throughout North America. Canada is the third country behind India and the Philippines of which American hospitals hire RNs to address the RN shortage in the States (Hall, 2009). It has been noted that US recruiters prefer RNs who hold a baccalaureate degree, the minimum education requirement to practise as RN in Canada (except Québec).  Read the full article conducted by the University of Toronto Lawrence Bloomber School of Nursing here . Unlicensed Internationally-Educated RNs living in Canada may have to submit a licensure by examination application in the States. This QRG applies to Canadian-licensed RNs/Canadian RNs. So how will those Canadian-licensed RNs reciprocate their licenses in the States? Here are useful steps to file for reciprocity in the States: Pre-requisites: Must have passed the NCLEX-RN Must hold an active Canadian RN license within Canada Québec RNs must